because you're a little too old for school clothes...

Friday, September 5, 2008

You don't like Trip Hop?

Or you don't really know much of the genre?

Well, personally I love the genre...so allow me to help you understand some things about it. It's dark, really full/sonic in sound, and a beautiful blend of hip-hop and electronic. Not for the mentally disturbed however, it does make one feel really nihilistic for some reason. But anywho, the genre was created in the early 90's in England and is constantly reinvented and experimented with; which is another reason why I love it. With that being said, allow me to give you some of my personal favorites.



Teardrop by Massive Attack. If you are into video games, you may remember this song from the Assassin's Creed trailer (which may I add is a dope game to relieve some stress on.) No, don't remember...allow me to refresh.



Indeed...loves it.

Next up,



Glory Box(Live) by Portishead. Now, when I first heard this song, I actually hated it. But it played randomly on my computer one day while the rain was coming down, and I fell in love with this joint. The new CD, Third, is available now...kinda trash in my opinion. The album that this song is on, Dummy, is worth a listen however.

Moving on,



Six Days by DJ Shadow. One of the few American Trip Hop artist, this song definitely fresh. If your memory serves you correct again, or if you wasted your $10 like I did, you will remember that this song was rehashed in recent reiteration of The Fast and Furious Series, Tokyo Drift. The remix actually had Mos Def which, in turn, made the song that much more dope to me. Here it is for your viewing/listening pleasure.



Now something a little more Hip Hop influenced, to a fan made video.



Chicken Bone Circuit by RJD2. This one has a bit more of a break-beat influence, which is also another genre that I enjoy delving into every now and again. But I will save that for another post.

じ ,



Kids with Guns by Gorillaz. This cut is off of the Demon Days album, which was insanely dope if I may add. If you haven't heard it then you are possibly out of your mind or have been under a rock for the past 5 years.

Prossimo e infine,

A joint that many of you may have skipped over on the album, The Cool



HelloGoodbye by Lupe Fiasco ft. Unkle. I feel like there isn't anything that needs to be said about this track other than that you should listen to it.

And now the beloved Blow-Us item. Not necessarily a Trip-Hop song, but still a favorite none the less.



La Ritournelle(The Only Love Song) by Sebastien Tellier. An ridiculously epic song and video that almost bring me to tears everytime that I hear it. I BULLSHIT YOU NOT. This is the radio/video edit, the original version is about 8 minutes with Mr. Tellier singing for only about a minute of it. The rest is just pure instrumentation...asininely beautiful. The track also features the drummer Tony Allen. Who, to some of those who are into music hardbody like I am, is famous from being the drummer for Fela Anikulapo Kuti's band, The Africa 70. Furthermore, the lead singer from The Blur, Damon Albarn, who is also responsible for the aforementioned band The Gorillaz; brought Tony Allen along for the ride for the superband, The Good,The Bad,The Queen. Which may I add, also featured the legendary guitarist from The Clash, Paul Simonon, the also legendary guitarist/keyboardist for The Verve, Simon Tong. I feel that it goes without saying that that album was great. If you don't know who those bands are as well as the songs that are associated with them, you owe me 100 musical essays as well as need to go and research them in your free time. It will change your life and the way you perceive and listen to music.

Here is a personal favorite from the album.



Nature Springs(Live from Abbey Road[before it was rebirthed as the cool thing to do]) by The Good, The Bad, The Queen from the album of the same name.

Well, that's all for now kiddies. Thank me later.

TLSW5000

No comments: